Queen of Angels Cemetery Groundskeeper will be a member of a Team to establish, maintain, improve and nourish the physical attributes and burial practices of the Catholic Cemetery in a manner commensurate with its sacred nature and its inspirational attributes to the benefit of all visitors. The Cemetery Groundskeeper will carry out these tasks under the direction of the Cemetery Groundskeeper Supervisor and, when appropriate, under the direction of the Cemetery Manager.
- Creating and sustaining an environment of exceptional service to the families and communities served through the Cemetery.
- Accountable to meet performance goals.
- Sustaining a mutually supportive teamwork environment.
- Compliance with OSHA and other applicable safety regulations and rules.
- Learn from the Cemetery Groundskeeper Supervisor and Cemetery Manager how to carry out up-to-date practices and techniques of full body ground burials, entombments and the interment of cremated remains in a variety of placements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Average skill in the operation of heavy equipment (tractor, backhoe, etc.) necessary for full body burials and other tasks.
- Average skill in the use of lawn and landscape maintenance equipment; such as, but not limited to, PTO mowers, riding mowers, edgers, trimmers, blowers, utility vehicles, and pressure washers.
- Learn and carry out the placement, installation and care of cemetery monuments and markers.
- Average knowledge and ability to maintain, repair and replace a wide variety of landscape plantings to brand quality expectations.
- Average knowledge and ability to maintain and repair grounds equipment; such as, but not limited to, irrigation system, outdoor and indoor lighting, fountains, and indoor and outdoor signage.
- Learn and carry out the maintenance and repair all other assigned equipment.
- Maintain written/electronic records of work performed, purchases and equipment maintenance.
- Perform day-to-day administrative duties as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent is preferred but not required.
- No less than two (2) years of Groundskeeper and/or General Maintenance experience.
- High level of compassion and integrity.
- Average oral communication, listening and instructional skills.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Average proficiency in problem solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task multiple priorities.
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage as per policy.
- Requires an appreciation and respect for the Catholic Church and its teachings.
- Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church.
- Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the policies of the diocese.
- The working hours of this position are not limited to an 8-hour day.
- This person will need to be available in the evenings and weekends, as scheduled or as needed.
- Must be willing to work in conditions of stress and function well under pressure.
- Work in well lighted and ventilated areas, dark and tight quarters, hot and cold temperatures.
- Physical ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 50 lbs. while following proper safety and lifting procedures.
- Standing and walking on uneven surfaces.
- Climb ladders and use scaffolds.
- Bend, stoop, squat, lean, reach, crawl, stretch and stand for long periods of time.