Full Job Description
JOB TITLE: Cemetery Irrigation Technician
SUPERVISOR: Cemetery Manager
SALARY: $32,812 to $41,565 per Year
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
To perform skilled work in the design, installation, and maintenance of the irrigation systems in the cemeteries. Operate heavy construction and maintenance equipment and perform skilled maintenance tasks in support of Cemetery operations. Employees within this class perform the full range of duties as assigned. Employees at this level receive minimal instruction due to their experience and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Troubleshoots and repairs, pumps, piping and valves, electrical components, sprinkler heads and other components.
- Winterize pipes, pumps, and other equipment.
- Performs general cleanup of job sites.
- Performs visual inspections of cemetery turf grass and landscape plants and determines adequate soil moisture levels. Programs irrigation systems to deliver precise and timely water quantities for quality turf grass and landscape plants.
- Design, install, maintain, and repair cemetery irrigation systems; performs visual checks of the systems; make necessary repairs and adjustments.
- Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, dump trucks, compressors, snowplows, mowers, aerators, string trimmers, and various other equipment in support of a variety of maintenance operations regarding cemetery operation and maintenance.
- Performs occasional grounds maintenance activities for the Cemeteries including, but not limited to: building maintenance, watering, lay sod, painting.
- Work closely with grieving families before, during and after internments.
- When required assist with interments and dis-interments, assist with opening and closing of grave spaces, tent set up and tear down, grave warmer set up and tear down.
- Assist the public with purchasing grave spaces, works with funeral directors to provide the best customer service possible.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic methods and techniques of general construction, maintenance and repair related to the area of work assigned.
- Ability to operate basic equipment and tools used in work assigned.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Work within confined spaces.
- Ability to operate a variety of vehicular and stationary equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Knowledge of locating grave spaces, identify grave spaces, perform headstone restoration, maintain records of headstone restoration and conduct training for full and part time employees.
- Perform a variety of skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work in the area of work assigned.
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time and in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain a positive and cooperative attitude towards the public and co-workers at the workplace.
- Perform work independently in the absence of supervision.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB
High school diploma or GED required.
Any combination of experience and training performing irrigation system repair, maintenance, and computer control programming. Additionally, landscape and turf grass maintenance, carpentry, and cultural practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, communicating with others, reading, and writing. The employee is also required to maintain physical condition necessary for operating assigned equipment, walking, standing, kneeling, repeated bending or sitting for prolonged periods of time and lifting to 30 pounds. Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
Work closely with others in an outdoor environment as well as irregular work hours; working with machinery, exposure to noise, dust, grease, fumes, gases, and inclement weather, communicate with grieving persons, often under extreme emotional distress.
The City of Cheyenne offers the following benefits to Full Time Employees.