Full Job Description
When you join Elmwood Funeral Home, you are not only joining our organization, you are joining a family with a long-standing reputation and “legacy” of being the most respected company in the death care industry. Elmwood Funeral Home is seeking compassionate employees who use their creativity and talent to ensure each client family leaves our facilities saying, “That’s how I want to be remembered.”
The Cemetery Maintenance Worker reports to the Cemetery Superintendent and is responsible for properly using tools, chemicals and equipment in the cemetery and surrounding areas. The Cemetery Maintenance Worker’s duties must be performed consistent with company mission and values and adherence to company policies and procedures.
Essential Functions and Competencies
- Locate gravesites using maps; lay out and excavate grave following interment verification procedures; install liner and refill the grave site after service.
- Water, mow, weed, trim, renovate and fertilize cemetery lawn areas.
- Plant, water and maintain landscaped areas consisting of bushes, trees, flowers, shrubs, and lawns.
- Trim and prune trees and shrubs; stake trees as necessary.
- Apply herbicides, fungicides and pesticides safely; maintain records of fertilizers and chemicals used.
- Perform a variety of duties in the maintenance and repair of the cemetery’s irrigation system; change and adjust heads; maintain controllers; plan and participate in large irrigation system installation and maintenance projects.
- Operate maintenance equipment such as dump trucks, tractors, backhoes, front loaders, and power tools such as mowers, edgers and blowers; maintain hand tools and assigned equipment; repair equipment as necessary.
- Equipment and facility maintenance and snow removal.
- Promote a safe work environment by being aware of and practicing universal precautions and adopting general principles of safe conduct.
- Observe safety rules and ensure compliance with the operating procedures of corporate, federal, state, and local regulations, including OSHA regulations and Safety and Environmental guidelines.
- Identify equipment needs for each assigned project.
- Work order completion.
- Meeting customers’ needs.
- Perform basic security function by observing traffic flow into and out of grounds, guarding against vandalism when possible.
- Place markers on gravesite; set markers in cement; log and record incoming markers and settings.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- This job is Non-Exempt.
Required Education and Experience
- High school education or equivalent or relevant work experience would be a definite asset
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience operating a loader/ backhoe and other heavy equipment required
- Previous customer service and/or sales experience would be a definite asset
- Good communication skills
- High level of compassion and integrity
- Problem solving skills
- Detail oriented
- Professional and team player
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Elmwood Funeral Home provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, veterans and/or any other status or condition protected by law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists.