Full Job Description
The City of Norfolk’s Department of Recreation, Parks and Open Space, Division of Cemeteries, is currently seeking multiple Groundskeepers. The Groundskeeper position is responsible for cutting grass, trimming grave markers, assisting in burials, and helping keep grounds in good condition. Groundskeepers also participate in the grounds maintenance and landscape projects to include, but not limited to, mowing, trimming, foundation installations, tree trimming and supporting other cemetery locations.
The City of Norfolk has offered peaceful cemetery settings to area residents since 1825. Cemetery maintenance is performed reverently and carefully, and ensures the preservation of a valuable part of Norfolk’s cultural heritage. The Division of Cemeteries works diligently to preserve the natural beauty of our 350+ acres of green space in an urban environment while providing a place for generations of families to commemorate their loved ones.
Departmental Hiring Salary: $25,100
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Maintains the grounds, cleans area and assists with landscaping by cleaning sidewalks, mowing lawns, trimming trees and shrubs, sweeping, loading wood debris, feeding a chipper and using a blower to remove sawdust, chips and shavings, removing trees and stumps, operating chippers and stump grinders, raking leaves, sweeping and edging, preparing and planting flower beds, seeding the lawns, caring for plants, removing insects and picking up litter.
- Secures areas for public safety in emergencies by clearing streets, walkways, moving trash cans and loose pots, removing branches, bushes and refuse from grounds, assisting emergency personnel and being on call to respond to emergencies.
- Assists with funeral services by erecting tents, assisting with grave digging, filling in graves, disposing of funeral flowers, keeping records and preparing reports
- Provides foundation service by digging holes, mixing and pouring concrete and moving and installing markers.
- Operates and maintains vehicles and equipment by checking fluid levels, refueling, checking tire pressure, fuses and light bulbs, cleaning, adjusting and sharpening chain saws, changing and sharpening chipper blades and stump grinder teeth and greasing.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
One (1) month of experience in greenhouse or landscaping or a related field.
Additional Information & Requirements
Vaccination Requirement: The City of Norfolk values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for a position, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are selected to join Team Norfolk, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption.
Work Hours: Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. May be required to work some weekends.
Work Locations: Various Norfolk City Cemeteries. Must be flexible.
- Valid Driver’s License required; Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License may be required depending upon area of assignment.
- Registered Pesticide Technician (Category 60) required within 12 months of employment.
- CPR/First Aid Certification may be required depending upon area of assignment within six months of employment.
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application. Your responses to the supplemental questions will be reviewed and verified with the information you provide in the body of your application.
- To check the status of your application, refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing “See resume” with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.
Job Category: Cemetery Arrangements/Sales
Company: City of Norfolk
Job Type: Full Time
Education: High School or Equivalent
Job Location: Norfolk Virginia
Experience: Entry Level