Full Job Description
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Maintains the grounds, cleans area and assists with landscaping by cleaning sidewalks, mowing lawns, trimming trees and shrubs, sweeping, loading wood debris, feeding a chipper and using a blower to remove sawdust, chips and shavings, removing trees and stumps, operating chippers and stump grinders, raking leaves, sweeping and edging, preparing and planting flower beds, seeding the lawns, caring for plants, removing insects and picking up litter.
- Secures areas for public safety in emergencies by clearing streets, walkways, moving trash cans and loose pots, removing branches, bushes and refuse from grounds, assisting emergency personnel and being on call to respond to emergencies.
- Assists with funeral services by erecting tents, assisting with grave digging, filling in graves, disposing of funeral flowers, keeping records and preparing reports
- Provides foundation service by digging holes, mixing and pouring concrete and moving and installing markers.
- Operates and maintains vehicles and equipment by checking fluid levels, refueling, checking tire pressure, fuses and light bulbs, cleaning, adjusting and sharpening chain saws, changing and sharpening chipper blades and stump grinder teeth and greasing.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to less than high school or equivalency.
One (1) month of experience in greenhouse or landscaping or a related field.
Work Hours: Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. May be required to work some weekends.
Work Locations: Various Norfolk City Cemeteries. Must be flexible.
- Valid Driver’s License required; Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License may be required depending upon area of assignment.
- Registered Pesticide Technician (Category 60) required within 12 months of employment.
- CPR/First Aid Certification may be required depending upon area of assignment within six months of employment.
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application. Your responses to the supplemental questions will be reviewed and verified with the information you provide in the body of your application.
- To check the status of your application, refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing “See resume” with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.