Full Job Description
New Starting Salary $18.23/hour
Are you ready to walk through the door of opportunity? You are on the right path towards a new and exciting opportunity to embrace a new beginning! If you are up for the challenge and are seeking a rewarding career in a fast-paced work environment, career progression and the chance to learn from the best, then we want you! Get ready to join our awesome Cemeteries team, supporting the City of Savannah historical cemeteries.
If you are seeking a career that will prove a fast-paced work environment, ability to grow your career and the chance to learn from the best, then we are looking for people like you!
As a Lead Medium Equipment Operator in the Cemeteries Department you will be responsible for responsible for operating medium equipment in support of the operations of the municipal cemeteries. You will also have an opportunity to help maintain our beautiful and historical City cemeteries.
Women, Minorities and Veterans Are Encouraged to Apply!
- Opens and closes graves by machine and by hand; restores gravesites.
- Performs manual labor, general maintenance or custodial duties in cemeteries, observes and enforces safe work practices.
- Surveys cemetery lots including uncovering buried lot markers; measuring and recording data; probes cemetery lots to locate burial containers, restores gravesites.
- Assists cemetery visitors with information and directions; oversees after-hour and weekend cemetery events; responds to service requests.
- Operates equipment in support of cemetery operations to include, but not limited to, backhoes, tractors, mowers, chippers, leaf collectors, dump trucks, trailers, and other medium equipment.
- Operates chainsaws, line trimmers, hedgers, and edgers; operates backpack, handheld, and push blowers; operates push mowers and other small engine equipment.
- Maintains equipment inventory; conducts daily inspections and preventative maintenance of equipment; documents and reports any issues.
- Serves as lead person of work crew or work independently; oversees and provides technical guidance of crews in support of maintenance or burial operations.
- Stores, mixes, transports, and applies various pesticides to target or host vegetation; applies pesticide with hand-held or backpack sprayer.
- Repairs and installs irrigation systems, spigots, and irrigation heads; cleans and repairs park benches, flag poles, and cemetery markers; paints fences and iron work.
- Inspects job sites for compliance with health, safety, and policies; ensures safe, efficient work methods and practices; completes work orders; recommends alternative solutions.
- Assists supervisor in training and orientation of less knowledgeable employees by explaining and demonstrating work performed.
- Performs stand-by and on-call duties after business hours for emergency response situations.
- Completes daily reports.
- Maintains professional certifications and attends training.
- Assists cemetery visitors with information and directions; oversees after hours and weekend cemetery events.
- Assists in emergency response during disaster incidents.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED plus three years (3) years of backhoe operation, maintenance, or construction work experience required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid state Commercial Driver’s License with an acceptable driving history. Must obtain within twelve (12) months of employment.
Requires a State Commercial Pesticide Applicator License with Ornamental and Turf endorsement or must obtain within six (6) months of employment.
Work Location: 330 Greenwich Rd Work Hours: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Knowledge of city and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of department personnel policies.
- Knowledge of cemetery maintenance and interment procedures, equipment, and materials.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in the training of personnel.
- Skill in the operation of lawn maintenance equipment.
- Skill in the operation of hand and power tools.
- Skill in the operation of a backhoe, tractor, and chipper.
- Skill in oral and written communication.