Full Job Description
New Starting Salary $15/hour
Are you ready to walk through the door of opportunity? You are on the right path towards a new and exciting opportunity to embrace a new beginning!
If you are up for the challenge and are seeking a rewarding career in a fast-paced work environment, career progression and the chance to learn from the best, then we want you! Get ready to join our awesome Cemeteries team, supporting the City of Savannah historical cemeteries.
Did you know? Of the nearly 80 cemeteries located in Chatham County, Georgia, the Cemeteries Division maintains five existing cemeteries which are owned and operated by the City of Savannah to include Bonaventure, Colonial Park, Greenwich, Laurel Grove North and Laurel Grove South. Each cemetery has a unique character and is historically significant to the City of Savannah!
The Cemeteries department is responsible for maintaining the grounds, selling interment rights, maintaining vital records, preserving the historical and cultural significance and coordinating all activities within the cemeteries. Our team of maintenance workers, senior maintenance workers, crew chiefs, medium equipment operators, conservation technician, coordinators and director works collaboratively to maintain the beauty of our cemeteries, and ensure machinery runs smoothly while upholding a safe environment where all employees can succeed. As we continue to grow our small team of 24, the Cemeteries team is seeking a skilled individual ready to keep our beautiful and historical cemeteries and equipment in safe working order.
As a Maintenance Worker in the Cemeteries Department you will be responsible for participating in City maintenance. You will also have an opportunity to help maintain our beautiful and historical City cemeteries.
We offer great pay, excellent benefits to include medical, dental, and vision plans, life insurance, employee/spouse/child supplemental life insurance, short-term disability, tuition reimbursement, wellness programs, deferred compensation plan (457 B), pension plan, flexible spending account, home purchase assistance and 12 paid holidays!
Women, Minorities and Veterans Are Encouraged to Apply!
Essential Job Functions
- Performs general maintenance, grounds maintenance, landscape maintenance, and custodial duties in cemeteries and cemetery buildings.
- Assists with burial operations; Cleans and maintains buildings and facilities, including
- Removing litter, streets, utilities, repairing fences and other equipment.
- Performs preventative and routine maintenance.
- Inspects, operates, and maintains a variety of small engine equipment in support of
cemetery maintenance operations.
- Controls traffic on work sites; sets up traffic control devices; maintains a clean and safe
- Performs stand-by and on-call duties for after-hour funerals, emergencies, and special
- Troubleshoot basic maintenance problems and performs various repairs.
- Maintains landscaping, storm drainage, and irrigation systems; treats plants and turf for
disease, cultivates and maintains trees and flower beds.
- Assists in the application of various pesticides and herbicides.
- Assists in the preparation of facilities for special events.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Job Category: Others
Company: City of Savannah
Job Type: Full Time
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
Job Location: Georgia Savannah
Experience: 2 - 5 years