Full Job Description
Performs intermediate semiskilled work in the construction, maintenance and repair in cemeteries and related work as required. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the assigned Crew Supervisor.
- Opens and closes graves; place sod and resow grassy areas.
- Assists visitors in locating graves.
- Transports crews, materials and equipment to and from job sites.
- Mows grass, edges sidewalks and curbs, weed eats, trims trees and shrubs; performs related landscaping duties in the maintenance of cemeteries.
- Performs minor maintenance and repairs on equipment.
- Operates back hoe, front end loader, weed eater, stump grinder, etc. in the construction, maintenance and repair.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Less than high school education and moderate experience in public services maintenance, repair, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General knowledge of buildings, grounds, landscape areas and related construction, maintenance and repair procedures.
- General knowledge of the safe use, operation and preventive maintenance of the equipment to which assigned.
- Skill in the use of equipment to which assigned.
- Ability to understand and follow specific oral instructions.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods, often under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
- Must posses a driver license valid in North Carolina.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires standing, walking, using hands to finger, handle or feel and reaching with hands and arms, frequently pushing or pulling and lifting and occasionally requires speaking or hearing, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and repetitive motions; work requires depth perception and color perception; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken work levels; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts within arms length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions and occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to extreme cold (non-weather), exposure to extreme heat (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock, exposure to vibration and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a very quiet location (e.g. park trail, storage or cemetery).
Job Category: Customer Service
Company: City of Kinston
Job Type: Full Time
Education: High School or Equivalent
Job Location: Kinston North Carolina
Experience: Entry Level